Wednesday 4 June 2014

Eggs on Toast (without the toast)




I don’t know about you but I find low carb breakfasts hard to do.  I mean, how can you compare to toast or cereal in their simplicity and versatility, right? And who ever heard of eggs on anything but toast? Well, I’m here to tell you that the new toast is pancake. No, I haven’t totally lost my mind. I’m not talking about the usual fluffy white things, I’m talking about a simple low carb version that tastes great.

I first experimented with this idea ages ago when my husband and I were exhausted one night and couldn’t be bothered cooking anything that would take longer than five minutes. We decided to have eggs on toast, only to discover we were out of bread. My suggestion to replace it with pancakes was scoffed at, until he tried it, and had to admit it was pretty awesome (well, that might be my word, but he really liked it).

I know that it only takes 10 seconds to pour cereal into a bowl (which makes it super appealing at the height of the morning rush), but this recipe can take a mere 5 minutes if you prepare the pancake mixture the night before (about 10 minutes otherwise). It doesn’t have to be saved for the weekend if you’re just a tiny bit organized. How you feed your body and mind in the morning really affects how your day progresses. Please bear this in mind when making your breakfast choices. After all, you do want to be full of beans don’t you?

Serves 2 (or 1 if you’re really hungry)

Suitable for:
Gluten free, grain free, dairy free, soy free, sugar free, fructose free, vegetarian and carb conscious eaters.

Conscious content:

·      3 Eggs
·      ¼ cup Almond Meal
·      ½ cup finely Grated Zucchini
·      ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
·      Salt to taste
·      Coconut Oil for cooking
·      Avocado for topping

The Creative Phase:

1.     Combine one egg, almond meal, zucchini, baking powder and salt
2.     Melt coconut oil in a frying pan
3.     Divide pancake mixture and pour into pan to make two pancakes
4.     Poach or fry 1-2 eggs
5.     When pancakes are ready, top with avocado and eggs
6.     Enjoy!

May you be full of beans, eggs and pancakes,

Carla.

No comments:

Post a Comment